Saturday, April 2, 2011

The historian Josephus in War, Volume III describes Peter “He appears as an admirable type of the Galilean, well-meaning, confiding, freedom-loving, and courageous, yet changeable, capricious, and eager for novelty.”  All of these traits are perfectly captured in Peter’s “walk on the water” in Matthew 14:28,29.  Peter immediately has the courage to step onto the water but it is like you can hear him screaming “I immediately regret my decision!!”  It is also amusing that this account is left out of Mark, which is the gospel that Peter is thought to have co-authored.  The swings are also evident when in the garden Peter draws his sword and cuts off the ear of one of the men coming to arrest Jesus, contrasted with Peter later that night disowning Jesus.
I believe this is the event that ultimately defined Peter, and became the “beacon” he kept returning to in his future ministry.  Going through something like actually disowning Jesus, literally to his face, then being forgiven, reconciled, and becoming a leader in the church, is a great example of personal redemption.  Sharing this, as I am sure he did, with struggling members of the church dealing with their own fears and frustrations must have been a great source of comfort.
Peter ultimately shows his acquired patience and understanding.  After disowning Jesus, then being personally reinstated by Jesus’ through the three questions (John 21:15-19), he writes in 2 Peter 1:12-15:
“So I will always remind you of these things, even though you know them and are firmly established in the truth you now have.   I think it is right to refresh your memory as long as I live in the tent of this body,  because I know that I will soon put it aside, as our Lord Jesus Christ has made clear to me.   And I will make every effort to see that after my departure you will always be able to remember these things.”

1 comment: